I found an idea for these pots a while back and honestly I can't remember which crafty blog I found them on. But it's such a simple process and pretty cheap as you can use items from around the house. I had 2 terracotta pots, some wall spackle and a little bit of spray paint.
I'm sorry but I failed to take pictures of the step by step process of the pots but the general gist is to smear the spackle onto the pots and let it dry. Rest assure, smear is a very technical term and it is a skill to smear in the right context for the over all look. Ok, I'm full of crap, just slather it all over, there is no right or wrong process here. After it's dry, spray paint. D-O-N-E!
While they look ok for now, I'm not totally happy with the half ball topiary look so I will probably change it up into a full topiary since the nooks on my mantle will require a bit of height to book end the whole wall. But for now, it's a done project in my book.